Wondering how to access your MSU SIS account? Here’s everything you need to know about accessing the Student Information System (SIS) at Michigan State University.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Learn more: Affiliate Disclaimer.
SIS is the online portal for Michigan State University students to access academic records, schedules, financial aid, degree progress, class enrollment, and more!
MSU faculty also use the Student Information System (SIS) for academic advising, maintaining class schedules, updating grades, and other important functions.
Whether you’re a new or current MSU student, you’ll need to log in to your SIS account at least a few times throughout the year.
In this guide, we’ll show you everything you need to know about how to access your MSU SIS account.
What Is MSU SIS?
The Student Information System (SIS) is the primary online location for student activities at Michigan State University.
In this online portal, students will have access to:
- Academic advising and tutoring appointments
- Class enrollment
- Billing and payment portal
- Financial aid documents
- GradPlan (graduate students)
- Academic records
- Academic progress
- And more!
Students also have the ability to designate guest access in this portal. This allows parents and guardians to log in to SIS to see class history, grades, account balances, financial aid, and more.
You can access your SIS account by visiting student.msu.edu and entering your email address and password.
How Do You Set Up A MSU SIS Account?
If you’re an incoming freshman at MSU, you will log in to your SIS account with the credentials that you set up during the admissions process.
If it’s your first time logging in to the Student Information System, you will need to sign the Electronic Consent Form and Statement of Financial Responsibility.
Here are the steps to take after logging in for the first time:
1. Review the welcome message and click “Next“.
2. The Accessibility Layout will default to “Accessibility Mode Off”. If you would like this feature on, you can use the drop down menu to change this setting.
3. Click “Next“.
4. Review the MSU Statement of Financial Responsibility and click “Accept“.
5. Click “Next“.
6. Review the Additional Information and click “Finish“.
How To Log In To SIS
If you’re a current Michigan State University student, you can easily log in to your SIS account with your university email and password.
Here are the steps to take to log in to MSU SIS:
1. Visit student.msu.edu from your web browser.
2. Click “Login“.
3. Enter your full email address and password.
4. Click “Sign In“.
5. Verify your account using your multi-factor credentials.
If you’re having trouble logging in, you can select “Need help signing in?” from the login screen to reset your password, unlock your account, or contact the MSU IT Help Desk.
How Can Parents Access The MSU SIS Portal?
Students may grant access to certain portions of their academic records to parents through SIS.
Here is how students can set up an account for their parents to log in to SIS:
1. Log in to student.msu.edu.
2. From the student home page, click the “My Profile” tile.
3. Click “Share My Info Electronically”.
4. To add a new parent or guardian, click the “Grant Access To A New Guest” button.
5. Click “I accept” if you agree to the terms and conditions.
6. Add your parent or guardian’s name and email address.
7. Select the features that you would like your guest to have access to.
*Important note: granting guest access to Financial Aid information requires authorization on this page and in the Financial Aid (Student Financial Planning) application.
8. Click “Save”.
9. Your guest will receive an email with their information and credentials for accessing this portal. Their status will be displayed as unknown until they accept the terms and conditions.
Setting Up Financial Aid Access For Parents
If you would like your guest to be able to access financial information, you can follow these steps:
1. From the student home page, click the “Financial Aid” tile.
2. Click “Financial Aid Portal” on the left menu.
3. Click “Open Financial Aid Portal“.
4. On the financial aid page, click your name in the top right corner and select “Profile” from the menu.
5. Scroll down to “Manage Proxy Access” and sign the FERPA consent form if it’s your first time setting up guest access.
6. Enter your guest’s email address under the “Add/Edit Proxy Portal Access” section.
7. Check the “Proxy/Guest” checkbox and click the save icon.
8. Your parent/guardian will receive an email instructing them to log in to the Financial Aid Portal to set up their account password.
This post was all about how to set up access to your MSU SIS account.
You may also like: